Saturday, August 9, 2008

dreams

Dreams are very interesting things. I looked up dreams on Wiki, and this is what it told me:

There is no universally agreed biological definition of dreaming. General observation shows that dreams are strongly associated with raid eye movement (REM) during which an electroencephalogram shows brain activity to be most like wakefulness. Participant-non remembered dreams during non-REM sleep are normally more mundane in comparison. During a typical lifespan, a human spends a total of about six years dreaming (which is about 2 hours each night). It is unknown where in the brain dreams originate, if there is a single origin for dreams or if multiple portions of the brain are involved, or what the purpose of dreaming is for the body or mind.

During REM sleep, the release of certain neurotransmitters is completely suppressed. As a result, motor neurons are not stimulated, a condition known as REM atonia. This prevents dreams from resulting in dangerous movements of the body.

So, what that tells me is that a dream is maybe originating from certain parts of your brain when neurons fire, which results in dreaming. I don't know how to explain it to you, but I understand what I said. :]] But either way, dreams are interesting. Like my dream last night.

Before I fell asleep, I wrote in my journal--which hasn't happened in ages--about how much I miss my friends that are on missions. I fell asleep, and I dreamed about two out of the three of them. (no, not daniel... as that is to be expected.) But one was very hectic, and unruly, the other, more of a sweet gentle dream... just.. comfortable.

I don't know. I find it interesting.

No comments: